Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Bookishly Fab~Books To Check Out



I love books, I collect books, I hoard books....
If your a booker check out these below. 

For the crafter:


I do not own these books........YET.  But I will.  If your a fan of the BUST magazine you will love Bust's DIY guide to life.  I scanned through it and liked what I saw.  It has everything from beauty, health, fashion, food, entertaining, finance, travel, sex....on and on.  If you like BUST magazine you will also like BITCH magazine.  Check them both out here:

http://bitchmagazine.org/

http://www.bust.com/

Weekend Handmade by Kelly Wilkinson has about 40 projects that you can do in a weekend.  I am all for anything that can nourish my creative wild side!


I belong to a wonderful book club.  The girls are so fun and being in this group I read books I would not normally read or give a second thought.  It is always, always good to get involved in groups, clubs, throw little social parties etc.  Get Out And LIVE!  Step outside your comfort zone and learn something new and explore the life around you.  You will be amazed at how you grow.

Anyway.....the latest books some of us gals read were:




I have not read The Night Circus yet, but it seems interesting.  I am actually going to pick it up today from my library.  They just called me today telling me it is now my turn to check it out!  Read below the book description I copied off of Amazon:

The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des Rêves, and it is only open at night. As far as for Maine, I just finished it and LUV'D it.  Read below the book description I copied off Amazon. 


But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway—a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them, this is a game in which only one can be left standing, and the circus is but the stage for a remarkable battle of imagination and will. Despite themselves, however, Celia and Marco tumble headfirst into love—a deep, magical love that makes the lights flicker and the room grow warm whenever they so much as brush hands.


True love or not, the game must play out, and the fates of everyone involved, from the cast of extraordinary circus per­formers to the patrons, hang in the balance, suspended as precariously as the daring acrobats overhead.

Written in rich, seductive prose, this spell-casting novel is a feast for the senses and the heart.



In her best-selling debut, Commencement, J. Courtney Sullivan explored the complicated and contradictory landscape of female friendship. Now, in her highly anticipated second novel, Sullivan takes us into even richer territory, introducing four unforgettable women who have nothing in common but the fact that, like it or not, they’re family.



For the Kellehers, Maine is a place where children run in packs, showers are taken outdoors, and old Irish songs are sung around a piano. Their beachfront property, won on a barroom bet after the war, sits on three acres of sand and pine nestled between stretches of rocky coast, with one tree bearing the initials “A.H.” At the cottage, built by Kelleher hands, cocktail hour follows morning mass, nosy grandchildren snoop in drawers, and decades-old grudges simmer beneath the surface.


As three generations of Kelleher women descend on the property one summer, each brings her own hopes and fears. Maggie is thirty-two and pregnant, waiting for the perfect moment to tell her imperfect boyfriend the news; Ann Marie, a Kelleher by marriage, is channeling her domestic frustration into a dollhouse obsession and an ill-advised crush; Kathleen, the black sheep, never wanted to set foot in the cottage again; and Alice, the matriarch at the center of it all, would trade every floorboard for a chance to undo the events of one night, long ago.

By turns wickedly funny and achingly sad, Maine unveils the sibling rivalry, alcoholism, social climbing, and Catholic guilt at the center of one family, along with the abiding, often irrational love that keeps them coming back, every summer, to Maine and to each other.
 
For me, I liked reading about how this family acts, re-acts and moves along in life. It was a good read.
 
I will post more book selections to check out.  Most of my book choices come from my book club and other people who inspire me.  If I can in turn expand your world...then life is good ;)
 
CIAO~


No comments:

Post a Comment